A souper yummy way to go green!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups celery
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups broccoli
- 3 cups sliced spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup pesto (more or less to taste)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 8 quart saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add salt, celery, shallots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 6 mins).
- Add broth and broccoli. Heat on high until simmering.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and mushrooms. Simmer for 5 to 10 mins or until veggies are softened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in rice and beans, and pesto to taste.
Best served warm on a snowy winter’s night, with hearty whole grain toast and hummus.
Recipe based on Good Housekeeping Magazine and tweaked by Sasha.