This cozy comfort food is tomato-tally tasty and super healthy! One recipe serves five hungry people.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cans (28 oz each) plum tomatoes (whole or diced also work)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice (optional)
- 2 cans beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- In 8 quart pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 mins, or until vegetables are tender, about 10 mins.
- Stir in garlic and thyme, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and water. Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 30 mins.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender .
- Heat to desired serving temperature.
- Mix in rice and beans, if desired.
Great served with a grilled cheese!
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping’s Vegetarian Meals and tweaked by Sasha.