Sweet Potato Nachos:
• 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 1 tbls. melted coconut oil (or olive oil on lower heat)
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 tsp. black pepper
• 1/4 garlic powder
• 2 tsp. regular taco seasoning (Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning is also really good!). Add more for a sprinkle on top too!
• 1 tbs corn starch
• Half a red pepper cubed
• Half an avocado cubed
• Handful of spinach shredded
• 1/2 cup black beans
• 1/2 cup cooked rice
• Other things you would probably want to add that Allison didn’t have available: green onion, cilantro, squeeze of lime)
Vegan Cheese Sauce:
• 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 3 hours with cold water or 30 min with boiling hot water)
• 1 cup almond milk
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 1/4 cup sunflower oil
• 3 tbsp tomato paste
• 1/4 C nutritional yeast
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• Optional: 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
Measurements are approximate. You will probably be left with a serving or two of extra sauce. It’s delicious poured over noodles, chips, rice, chili, cauliflower, or broccoli! Refrigerate and use within one week. If you’re allergic to nuts or prefer a nut-free version, this is my favorite recipe: http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2015/1/22/nacho-cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425º F
2. Thinly slice sweet potato and put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and add seasonings and corn starch. Stir the coated potatoes with your hands and evenly distribute on baking sheet.
3. Put the potatoes in the oven for about 17 minutes, stirring and flipping halfway through.
4. Meanwhile, cut up your toppings and make your cheese sauce. For the sauce, throw all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth. That’s it!
5. Take the potatoes out of the oven and add your toppings and cheese sauce. Place back in the oven for another 8 minutes or so until everything is hot and combined.
6. Eat the whole pan of nachos by yourself and don’t feel bad about it.